Best Tips Drive a Car – Manual & Automatic
Many of you would be wondering how to drive a car safely and efficiently. In fact. There are many who know how to drive a manual car but aren’t comfortable behind the wheel of an automatic one. Even the vice drive a car versa holds true. However, it must be noted that driving a car is a lot simpler than it looks. There are just some basic things you need to keep in mind before you get behind the wheel. This article here would help you with some tips on how to be a safe driver, along with telling you how to drive a car step by step –
How to drive a car for the first time?
In this section, we give car driving tips for beginners those who have been wondering how to drive a car for the first time-
- First things first, you need to make sure that you are comfortable behind the wheel of the car you plan to drive. Therefore, once you are in the driving seat, adjust it as per your height and comfort. Next, adjust the mirrors, both drive a car the inside unit and the ones on the outside. Being comfortably seated would help you keep your calm when you start driving for the first time.
- Also, make sure you don’t overthink about the situation. Driving is an experience that requires multitasking as your brain needs to analyze drive a car a lot that’s going on around you. There are some basic rules that you must follow. While it is highly important to use turn indicators and to understand the road signs, it’s of even higher importance to make sure your mind is not preoccupied, which might, in turn, hamper your focus on the road.
- It’s natural to feel a bit nervous when driving for the first time. Therefore, it will be a good idea to have an experienced driver in the co-driver seat to help you with some basic guidance where and when required. There is a reason that it’s compulsory to have a learned driver in the co-driver seat when you start driving on a learner’s license. He can go on to help you make minor corrections in your driving.
- When driving for the first time, it’s a pretty good idea to stay in familiar territory. This way, you won’t have the additional burden of looking for directions. Hence, it’s recommended to start driving on roads near drive a car your home or where there isn’t too much vehicular movement. Also, stay away from highways and busy intersections. While it will be important to learn how to drive on highways, it’s good to leave that for the future, when you’re comfortable driving in the city.
How to Learn Car Driving?
Well, driving a car could appear to be a pretty daunting task but trust us, things will start feeling easier once you get familiar with the vehicle. That said, it may be noted here that driving in real-life conditions could be a lot tougher than what you might have felt from driving in video games. So, the first thing you should drive a car do if you’ve been thinking about how to learn car driving is to head to a good driving school. Generally, people tend to hire the services of the friendly driving instructor in the locality for getting tutorials on car driving.
However, it’s better to learn driving from a full-fledged institute, where one is first trained on a simulator before he starts practicing on a real car. Also, the driving instructor in such a school generally takes a more systematic approach with teaching you than the unauthorized driving instructor.
How to Drive a Manual Car?
In India, most new drivers start with a manual car and hence, most Indian car driving license holders are well versed with driving a manual transmission-equipped light motor vehicle. However, still, if you’re someone who has been driving an automatic car and now plan to shift to the ‘stick shift’, here’s how to change gear in car with manual transmission –
- Basically, a manual car has three pedals, one each for the accelerator, brake and clutch.
- The brake and accelerator pedal are operated through the left leg, while the right leg is for the accelerator. The brake pedal is to slow down the vehicle. It should be noted that the former you are on this pedal, the faster drive a car it will slow you down. The accelerator will increase the engine speed, which, in turn, will speed up your car.
- The clutch pedal makes driving a manual car difficult. Without going into too many details, the clutch pedal is used to help you shift gears.
- To shift gears, fully press the clutch pedal, while lifting off the accelerator pedal.
- Slot into the gear you desire to drive in, and slowly, start lifting off the clutch pedal.
- Meanwhile, as you start releasing the clutch pedal, slowly, start pressing the accelerator pedal.
- Gradually, release the clutch pedal completely and use only the accelerator pedal to control the speed of the car.
- It needs to be kept in mind here that lifting your foot off the clutch pedal or not pressing the accelerator while you start releasing the clutch might stall your car.
So, this is how to change gears in a car with manual transmission.
How to Drive an Automatic Car?
Many car drivers in India that have been driving manual transmission-equipped cars all their lives wonder how to drive an automatic car. Mostly, automatic cars are much easier to drive, simply because there’s no need to operate a clutch.
- To start driving an automatic car, ensure the gear lever position is N (Neutral)
- Next, step on the brake pedal and turn the ignition on.
- Slot the gear lever into D (Drive) mode and start releasing the brake pedal.
- As the car starts moving forward, use your right foot to operate the accelerator and brake to control the speed.
- The left foot should be kept rested at all times and one shouldn’t use it to apply brakes.
- Also, while parking, make sure to leave the car in P position and apply drive a car the handbrake to prevent it from rolling forward or backwards when parked on a slope.
How to Reverse a Car?
Many new car drivers find it tough to reverse a car, especially when it is parked in a tight spot. While reversing a car might seem tough in the beginning, it’s pretty easy once you keep the following things in your mind –
- Slot the gear lever into reverse
- Look over both your shoulders to ensure there is no one in your path while reversing.
- Gently, start driving backwards. To reverse slowly, you can even forget about putting your foot on the accelerator as the can move as you start releasing the clutch and lift off the brake pedal.
- It’s important to note that the steering wheel is “reversed” when you need to reverse. When driving forward, you turn your steering right to turn right and turn the steering left to turn left. But when you reverse, it’s not the same. Turning your steering right will move your car back towards left while turning your steering left will turn your car towards right.
- Of course, you need to use the brake pedal to slow down
How to Drive a Car in Traffic?
- It is still quite easy to drive a car on an empty street but driving in traffic is the tricky part. Until you start feeling totally at home when driving your car, it’s best to stay in the leftmost lane as the lanes on the right are reserved for vehicles that move faster.
- Also, it’s rude and dangerous to tailgate someone going slower than you in the right lane. Similarly, it’s not right to drive slowly drive a car in the right lane, which would have others tailgating you. So, it is best to remain in a lane that has vehicles moving at the same speed as yours.
- Also, when possible, overtake cars from the left side instead of the right one as mostly, the speed of vehicles increases going right to left.
- In case you are speeding up and going faster than the car in front, you need to pass it from the right.
- Never pass a truck on the right. As trucks and semis are much bigger than most other vehicles, they tend to have blind spots. Also, trucks stay in the right-most lanes and generally switch lanes to the right instead of the left.
How to Drive a Car in a Hilly Area?
- Driving in planes is a lot easier than driving in hilly areas. Therefore, before you start driving in the hills, you need to check your brakes before the start of the journey.
- Also, while going uphill, you need to engage the right gear for the climb. Unless you end up over-revving, complete the entire ascent in the same gear.
- Also, while going uphill, make way for bigger drive a car vehicles like trucks or buses.
- Also, never attempt to overtake near bends or at the crest of the hill as it is tough to see the oncoming traffic.
- Always sound the horn and use the pass-beam at blind corners and sharp turnings. Also, you need to follow road traffic signs more carefully.
How to Drive a Car Downhill / Slope?
In this section, we tell you how to drive a car on a slope, which is some of the trickiest things for new car drivers.
- While driving downhill, never apply brakes but use engine-braking to slow down. Overuse of brakes while going downhill would lead to increased wear and tear, and ultimately, brake failure.
- When parking your car on an uphill gradient, use the parking brake and leave your car in first gear.
- Similarly, when parking your car on a downhill, use the parking brakes and leave the gear lever in reverse position.
- Never turn off the engine or put the gear in a neutral position while going downhill as it gets difficult to control the vehicle
How Can I Learn to Drive Fast?
- Basically, there is no hard and fast rule for this. One should start driving fast only when you feel comfortable and can drive the car confidently.
- You can start increasing your driving speed in a gradual manner. Start with small increments in your regular speed and get used to driving faster before you increase your speed even further.
- Also, when driving faster than usual, make sure you are more attentive and focussed on the road.
- Also, keep in mind, the faster you go, the longer it will take to reduce your speeds. Braking distances increase exponentially with speed and hence, even a small increment in speeds can increase drive a car the braking distances substantially.
- Finally, never violate the speed limit of the road you are travelling on. The maximum permissible speed limit is decided after taking several factors into account and driving faster than allowed is not only in violation of the law but even risky